Small Steps Forums - The Forum for Anxiety Disorder & Panic Attack Sufferers  

Small Steps - Anxiety, Panic Attacks and Phobias Forum Home Forums Start Page Forums Frequently Asked Questions FAQ Member List Members List
Go Back   Small Steps Forums - The Forum for Anxiety Disorder & Panic Attack Sufferers > Help Forum > Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks

Register Calendar Calendar Search Small Steps Forums - The Forum for Anxiety Disorder & Panic Attack Sufferers Search Todays Posts Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks Discussion and help about anxiety attacks, anxiety conditions and disorders, and panic attacks.

Please help - I can't take a deep breath -anxiety or something else?

Please help - I can't take a deep breath -anxiety or something else?

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 67221 times

Old 08-11-06, 12:32 PM

6 month star 12 month star
Unhappy Please help - I can't take a deep breath -anxiety or something else?

Hi,
I'm new here and found this website when I typed in some of my symptoms- I really hope someone can give me some advice.
I'm 21 and I've always been very relaxed and laid back, no problems with anxiety. I recently had a change of scene- finished my degree, moved in with my boyfriend, started a new job and there have been quite a few things to deal with in the flat (misunderstandings with bill companies etc) but although I've had moments of feeling stressed, I've been feeling generally happy and like my normal self.
About 5 days ago, mid morning, I suddenly felt as if I couldn't take enough air into my lungs. I tried a few times, and after a couple of minutes, I managed to get one (which felt so good!). This continued for the whole day, and now, 5 days later, I'm having the same problem - only able to get a decent breath every few minutes. There are times when I know anxiety is making it worse - if I think about the fact that I'm struggling, I struggle even more, and my heart rate dramatically rises - I have to distract myself to calm it down, but it never goes away completley and I'm always having to try hard to breathe. Now my chest aches from trying so hard! But I'm not sure this could be caused by anxiety completely as I thought panic attacks only lasted a matter of minutes or hours. Has anyone ever had this problem to the extent that it continues for several days? I have already seen a doctor and had a chest xray which hasn't shown up anything obvious.
Please help!
B x

Last edited by Bambi170 : 08-11-06 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 07:03 PM

Reputation: belladonna is an unknown quantity at this point (0)
Default RE: Please help - I can't take a deep breath -anxiety or something else?

Hi B
I'm new here too - this is my first post and only found this Forum today. Honey, please try not to worry as it sounds like classic anxiety. You are so right - the more you struggle and panic, the worse it feels. Go back to your Dr. (or see another if you aren't happy) and tell them that this has been going on all week. The symptoms can last just a few minutes, or an hour or so, but can also go on for days. Mine have been getting worse and worse since the Summer, culminating last week in a (what felt like) whole week of them. I visited my GP on Thursday and am now taking beta blockers (which have been a God send) and following his other advice to control the causes of anxiety.
I hope it works out for you x
Old 24-11-06, 12:16 AM

Default Definitely Anxiety!

I suffered with this for about 6 months and it was absolutely awful. The more you think about it the worse it will get. You will suddenly often realize thatyour breathing is fine which will get you thinking about it again and it all starts over - it is a cycle. I got over it by actually noticing every time it happened and said to myself, "that was a thought that made that happen!" and that seemed to help - I don't know why though....
At first it is very tough but it does get better, I promise you!'t? There is a simple test to see if it is medical or not (which it isn't).Do you oftenfeel the urge to take a deep breath and can't? All you have to do is NOT take that deep breath. It is hard but I promise you will soon realize that, as you aren't fainting or anything it is a mental process, not a physical one.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-12-06, 10:34 AM
CharlesL

Default RE: Please help - I can't take a deep breath -anxiety or something else?

Every single anxiety sufferer experiences something like this at some point. Be assured that it is nothing more than a feature of your anxiety disorder and nothing more.

The last post is true... the more you focus on it, the worse it gets.

This is how I see it

Anxiety is like a pair of sunglasses - when you put them on, you make a decision - you can either look at them all day and trip over every obstacle you encounter, OR you can project your consciusness and your focus through them and lead a normal life.

Anxiety is the same - you ca either focus on it all day or shift that focus to the 'real' important and exciting world past the end of your nose!!

After all, anxiety SYMPTOMS are not symptoms at all... they are normal but exagerated sensations of appropriate anxiety that have been embelished due to you inappropriate anxiety - THEY ARE JUST SENSATIONS... NOTHING MORE!!!!

Charles
Old 01-12-06, 11:15 PM
Banned

Default Hi

Hi

Charles is correct in that many anxiety sufferers feel that they have respiratory problems and I have experienced it to a lesser degree myself (I would advise that you visit your GP just to eliminate any possible physical problems).

However, if it was as simple as taking off a pair of sunglasses, we'd all just decide not to be anxious and there would be no problem.

I have been corresponding with fellow sufferers for 8 years now and I have yet to meet anybody who has benefited from Charles's methods and I worry about the way he dismisses the biochemical aspects of anxiety (no mention of serotonin levels, dopamine levels or vitamin B intake).

You are definitely not alone in what you suffer and there are people on this site who are interested in trying to help and not just making money.

Chris x
Old 11-12-06, 03:03 PM

Talking Thanks...

Thanks for all your replies- haven't managed to get on the internet at home because the computer totally died on me, so have resorted to using it at work. A couple of days after I made my first post, my breathing finally got better. Since then I've mostly been fine - have had the occasional day where it's happened for about a 5 minute period then gone away, but yesterday it started again and am having it all of today aswell. Am less stressed about it than the first time because now I'm sure it isn't medical and again, the less I think about it the smaller a problem it is.
I'm guessing it's because this weekend has been a little stressful for various reasons, but I still find this whole thing bizarre Ė I donít feel stressed in myself at all Ė I donít have worries and never find myself going over and over problems in my head Ė can this really just be my bodyís reaction to stress!? If so Ė itís amazing how stupid the body can be as this is the last thing I need!
Since those of you who have replied to me have experienced similar things, do any of you have any advice on ways to relax and help improve my breathing? At the moment I find having a bath is one of the only things that helps. Any suggestions much appreciated,
Thanks for all your replies, have all made me feel much better!
B x
Old 11-12-06, 11:36 PM

Reputation: holbrook99 is an unknown quantity at this point (0)

ok guys ive just come accross this website after also typing some symptoms into google, some of the stuff im reading in this thread sounds slightly similar to my problem and i hope that i can get some help.

ok about 3 - 4 weeks ago i started having the feeling in the back of my throut like i wanted to force out a small belch but there was nothing to force out, and i started to worry about this for a few days and i gradually started to forget about about it, but only because id started worrying about something else....i have a feeling that i need to take a deep breath or a big sigh but cant seem to do it every time, id say that from the moment i get up to the moment i go to bed im worrying about this, im thinking about it constantly, the more i try to sigh the more my chest aches.
it feels like i take in a deep breath but am not getting the feeling of needing to release the breath if that makes sense. so im kind of taking in too much air maybe which makes my chest hurt????? id say every 8 attempts i get one good sigh, which feels like a great relief once it happens, but as soon as its done im worrying about the next one??
am i being a hypocondriac or do you think there is something wrong.

i went to the dr today who says she has no ideas!!
Old 12-12-06, 11:55 AM

Hiya Holbrook99
It honestly sounds so similar to mine and I felt exactly the same as you when I had my first experience of it (which lasted a week) Ė really sick with worry about it and no help from the doctors at all at first Ė eventually I found one who explained to me that it was called air hunger and itís completely anxiety related. As you can see from my other posts, I found this really weird, and still do, because I genuinely donít feel stressed out, but supposedly it is all subconscious - have you had any major changes or things that have stressed you out recently?

I have only two recommendations, one easy and one really hard! The first is to take a bath Ė I found the heat made me relax a bit. The other is that you have to stop thinking about it- believe me I know how hard it is because I have it right now as Iím typing Ė I find it near impossible sometimes because even if youíre thinking about trying not to think about it, youíre thinking about it! You genuinely have to take your mind off it and once you do it will get better Ė I think if you can try to understand that it is in your head and there isnít anything wrong with you physically youíll instantly relax a bit Ė even though Iíve had it for 2 days now, Iím no way near as stressed as I was the first time because I realise that it isnt serious.
Keep posting if you need help, people on here are really nice!
B x

Ps- I also have the pain/ache in my chest- I think itís because weíre straining so hard to get air in all the time when we donít need to. If I feel myself getting really upset over it I try to tell myself that if I really truly wasnít getting enough air in, Iíd be feeling really weak and dizzy and probably would have passed out- you are getting the air you need, you just donít think you are!
Old 12-12-06, 12:31 PM

Reputation: holbrook99 is an unknown quantity at this point (0)

thanks very much for your reply, seems im ok then!!!lol.

so hard to forget about it though, but will certainly try.

i cant really think of anything that could be stressing me out, i once had what i thought was a panic attack on an airoplane, i felt like i couldnt swallow, and the more i tried the more i panicked, is this something similar.

medication?????
Old 13-06-07, 10:29 PM

Default paper bag

thought i would add my info had been panic free for about 6 years and now their back the only thing different is the breathing panic isnt so bad this time ive swopped that for the shaking its horrible 6 years ago i ordered a cab rushed to hospital thinking heart attack this doctor passed me shaking his head thinking time waster i dont know if this helps others but i use to go out with a paper bag and breathe slowly now six years on dont leave without my mints frozen bottle water it lasts longer and my list of things to help try rabid badgers site he was brill lots of useful tips chrissyx